The International Conference on Language Variation in Europe, ICLaVE, is one of the most important fora for research in the area of language variation in Europe. It aims at bringing together scholars of languages and language varieties spoken in Europe with the purpose of discussing empirical, methodological and theoretical issues in the study of language variation and change on the continent.
After ICLaVE|11 unfortunately had to be moved online due to the Corona pandemic, ICLaVE|12 will take place in Vienna from July 8-11, 2024.
ICLaVE|12 solicits submissions for panels, papers, posters, and multimedia presentations (a new format) in any and all areas of study related to language variation in European languages, such as sociolinguistics, dialectology, historical linguistics, psycholinguistics, phonetics, etc.
Marie-Hélène Côté (University of Lausanne)
Agnes Kim (University of Vienna, Austrian Academy of Sciences)
Martijn Wieling (University of Groningen)
15 May 2023: start of panel submission
1 Jun 2023: start of paper, poster, and multimedia submission
1 Aug 2023: deadline for panel submission
10 Oct 2023: notification of acceptance for panels
1 Nov 2023: deadline for paper, poster, multimedia submission
31 Dec 2023: notification of acceptance for papers, posters, multimedia
15 Jan 2024: registration opens
15 Jun 2024: registration closes
8-11 Jul 2024: conference
Call for Panels:
Our first Call for Contributions concerns the submission of panels, with all subsequent calls to follow in due course. Panel proposals must be written in English and should be submitted electronically by the panel organizer(s). Submission opens on May 15th, 2023; the deadline for submission is August 1st, 2023.
Panels at ICLaVE|12 will have a duration of 3.5 hours, which amounts to 7 slots total (=including introduction and/or discussion session). One slot is 30 minutes (=20min presentation +10min discussion), in order to allow conference participants to switch between sessions.
Panel proposals should include:
- a general overview text of no more than 500 words, including the topic and how it relates to the conference theme, key questions, the rationale for the panel, and its aims and objectives
- some information on paper ordering, featuring a list of contributors (name, affiliation, email address) and any discussant/s
- full abstracts of the contributions, including information on the subject, methodology and theoretical framework(s) (max. 400 words per abstract, excluding title and references).
Panel organizers should:
- coordinate the submission of individual abstracts by contributors before the deadline (max. 400 words each, excluding title and references)
- submit the proposal by August 1st, 2023 and confirm that all invited contributors have agreed to participate
- communicate the decision of acceptance/rejection of the panel to the contributors
- act as mediators between the contributors and the conference organizing committee
- submit an updated version of the abstracts and panel description by March 1st, 2024
- collect papers, presentations and/or data samples for the panel in advance of the conference, and circulate these among all panel contributors
- chair their panel at the conference
Panel proposals will be reviewed by the organizing committee. Notifications of acceptance will be sent out October 10th, 2023.
Authors may submit two abstracts in total to the conference, if at least one paper is co-authored. (No two submissions by the same author in the same panel.)
For submission of individual papers and poster proposals, see our ensuing call for papers (planned to open in June 2023).
We look forward to your submissions, and to welcoming you to Vienna in July 2024!
The ICLaVE|12 Conference Organizing Committee
Conference Website: https://iclave12.dioe.at/